The Fishing Report
The Reel Fishing Spot with Jye Sheridan (23/03/18)
The Dawesville Cut:
• Herring, skippy, salmon trout, king george whiting, tailor.
• Best bait: prawn or squid fished on either a sinking rig for the whiting or skippy and a burley cage rig for the herring, for the tailor a mulie under a float or unweighted depending on tidal flow
The Mandurah channel:
• Herring, salmon trout, yellow fin whiting, tarwhine and crabs
• Best baits: baby mulies for the tailor, bloodworm or squid for the whiting and coral prawns are another popular bait
Peel Inlet and Harvey Estuary:
• Tailor, herring, salmon trout, yellowfin whiting, crabs.
• Best methods to catch them: for the tailor a smiling jack trolled slowly or a mulie unweighted thrown after dark, and for the crabs either a scoop net or mullet in a drop net
• Tims Thicket and White Hills: tailor, occasional mulloway and snapper plus sand and yellowfin whiting, tarwhine and herring. The best bait is a Fremantle scaly on a weighted rig.
• Halls Head to Singleton: tailor, mulloway, yellowfin whiting, skippy and herring. Best bait is a Fremantle scaly on a weighted rig.
Black bream: The Murray continues to fish very well and the canals around Mandurah town and the Murray River.
• Rainbow trout, Brown trout, Red fin perch
• Best methods to catch them: small diving minnows, spinners, soft plastics, gulp trout bait, dry and wet flies.
Western Rock Lobster:
• Five Fathom and James Service fishing still your best bet, get your pots hard up on the reef.
• Best bait: hoki heads, tuna heads and blue mackerel
For the boaties: Dhufish, snapper, baldchin groper, break sea cod, king george whiting, queen snapper, sand whiting, samson fish, southern blue fin tuna, dolphin fish and skippy
• Best bait: squid, octopus, mulies plus plenty of burley for the skippy and snapper
Latest Gadget: atomic Plazos 7” jerk minnow