A bushfire EMERGENCY WARNING has been issued for people bounded by Kwinana Freeway to the west, Doghill Road to the north, Kiely Lane to the east and Karnup Road to the south, including Powell Road, Serpentine Road, Wilkinson Road and O'Neil Road in parts of BALDIVIS and MARDELLA in the CITY OF ROCKINGHAM and the SHIRE OF SERPENTINE-JARRAHDALE.
• You are in danger and need to act immediately to survive. There is a threat to lives and homes.
• The fire started near the intersection of KARNUP RD and YOUNG RD in BALDIVIS.
WHAT TO DO:
• If the way is clear, leave now for a safer place.
• Do not wait and see, leaving at the last minute is deadly.
• Close all doors and windows and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
• If you cannot leave, you need to get ready to shelter in your home.
• Go to a room in your home away from the fire front and make sure you can easily escape.
• Choose a room with two exits and water such as a kitchen or laundry.
• If you are not at home, it’s too dangerous to return.
• The bushfire is moving fast in a north easterly direction.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and emergency services personnel working on site.
A number of roads have been closed including:
• Karnup Road between Young Road and Kwinana Freeway
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting travelmap.mainroads.wa.gov.au or by contacting your local Shire.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
• Firefighters are on the scene.
• The fire was reported at 12:02 PM on 9 January 2020.
• DFES is managing the fire.