Lithium battery believed to be cause of Greenfields house fire

The fire quickly spread from the garage into the roof. PIC: 9News

Authorities believe the cause of a fire that destroyed a Greenfields home was a charging lithium battery.

Firefighters were called to the Cherrytree Court property just after 11am on Sunday.

Two young boys passing by were the first to raise the alarm, alerting a neighbour who then called triple zero.

Koben Cook, 8, said it was difficult to watch his home burn.

"I saw the windows break, I saw the roof collapse," he told 9News.

"This is the first house fire I have seen and it was my house."

Mandurah Station Officer Paul Litterick said the fire quickly spread.

"When we arrived there was a lot of smoke, the garage was going well," he told 9News.

"We believe it started from batteries on charge."

It is understood the family have no contents insurance.

A GoFundMe page has been created to help the family financially. 

The fire comes just days after the Department of Fire and Emergency Services warned of a rise in lithium-ion battery fires in WA.

More from Local News

Fuel Watch
  • 164.9: Ampol Foodary Falcon (Miami Beach)
  • 166.9: Ampol Foodary Erskine
  • 166.9: Ampol Foodary Greenfields
  • 167.3: X Convenience Erskine
  • 167.9: Reddy Express Mandurah