Damaging winds may occur across parts of the South West Land Division with the passage of a cold front on Wednesday.
An strong cold front is approaching from the west and is expected to reach the South West Capes Wednesday morning and the Perth Metropolitan area and Albany in the mid to late afternoon.
Showers and thunderstorms associated with the front may produce DAMAGING WINDS with gusts to 100 kilometres per hour that could cause DAMAGE TO HOMES AND PROPERTY southwest of a line from Busselton to Albany by 10am Wednesday morning. This will extend to be southwest of a line from Yanchep to Narrogin to Katanning to Albany by 4pm Wednesday afternoon.
Showers and thunderstorms may produce moderate to heavy rainfall at times, particularly about the South West and Lower West districts.
A combination of rising swell and strong to gale force winds will likely result in DAMAGING SURF CONDITIONS along the coast from late Wednesday which could cause SIGNIFICANT BEACH EROSION.
Locations which may be affected include Albany, Bunbury, Busselton, Katanning, Mandurah, Manjimup, Margaret River, Mount Barker, Narrogin and Perth.
This is typical weather for this time of year but winds may cause damage to property and make road conditions hazardous.
The Department of Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
* If outside find safe shelter away from trees, power lines, storm water drains and streams.
* Close your curtains and blinds, and stay inside away from windows.
* Unplug electrical appliances and do not use land line telephones if there is lightning.
* If boating, swimming or surfing leave the water.
* Be alert and watch for hazards on the road such as fallen power lines and loose debris.
* Keep away from flooded drains, rivers, streams and waterways.
* Be careful of fallen trees, damaged buildings and debris.
* Be careful of fallen power lines. They are dangerous and should always be treated as live.
* Assess your home, car and property for damage.
* If damage has occurred take photos and contact your insurance company to organise permanent repairs.
* If your home or property has significant damage, like a badly damaged roof or flooding, call the SES on 132 500.