Waikiki house damaged by lithium battery fire

PIC: File

A fire has engulfed a house in Waikiki early this morning.

Firefighters were called to the house on Reveley street around 7am after receiving reports of black smoke coming from the property. 

When fire crews arrived one resident was outside the home attempting to hose down the flames. 

A Department of Fire and Emergency Services spokeswoman said the fire was caused by an overcharged lithium battery. 

She said the fire began at the centre of the house and quickly spread to the roof and nearby rooms. 

Firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze by 8.30am.

It comes as statistics released by DFES earlier this year showed the number of structure fires caused by lithium batteries has almost doubled in the last two years. 

More from Local News

Fuel Watch
  • 171.5: X Convenience Erskine
  • 172.9: Ampol Foodary Erskine
  • 178.9: Ampol Foodary Falcon (Miami Beach)
  • 179.9: EG Ampol Falcon
  • 183.9: Coles Express Halls Head