The supermarket was fined for several Food Act breaches.
Rockingham IGA has been fined $45,000 for a range of breaches of the Food Act.
Those breaches include:
- Selling food after its use-by-date.
- Not maintaining food premises to a standard of cleanliness.
- Not maintaining food premises in a good state of repair.
- Not maintaining equipment to a standard of cleanliness.
- Not clearly identifying food that is held and kept separate for disposal, as food that is or may not be safe or suitable.
Owner of the store Adrian De Mattis told PerthNow the breaches came after a long-term employee passed away.
"It was a pretty tough time for us," he said.
"We had the death and it was just a bad time all around."
He added that everything had since been rectified and the City of Rockingham had given them approval.
They were also ordered to pay costs of $2218.30.