Bushfire WATCH AND ACT for parts of MUNDIJONG, HOPELAND, OLDBURY, MARDELLA, SERPENTINE, BALDIVIS, WELLARD and CARDUP in the CITY OF KWINANA, CITY OF ROCKINGHAM and SHIRE OF SERPENTINE-JARRAHDALE.
A bushfire WATCH AND ACT has been issued for people in an area bounded by Mortimer Road and Gossage Road to the north, Kwinana Freeway to the west, Karnup Road to the south, and Kargotich Road to the east, but not including the Freeway, in parts of MUNDIJONG, HOPELAND, OLDBURY, MARDELLA, SERPENTINE, BALDIVIS, WELLARD and CARDUP in the CITY OF KWINANA, CITY OF ROCKINGHAM and SHIRE OF SERPENTINE-JARRAHDALE.
• There is a possible threat to lives and homes as a fire is approaching in the area and conditions are changing.
WHAT TO DO:
• If you are not prepared or you plan to leave, leave now if the way is clear.
• If you are well prepared and plan to actively defend your home, make final preparations now.
• If you plan to stay and actively defend, do not rely on mains water pressure as it may be affected. You need to have access to an independent water supply, and start patrolling your property to put out spot fires.
• At all times close all doors and windows and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
• If you are not at home, do not try to return as conditions in the area could be very dangerous.
Bushfire ADVICE for parts of the CITY OF COCKBURN, CITY OF ARMADALE, CITY OF KWINANA, CITY OF ROCKINGHAM and the SHIRE OF SERPENTINE-JARRAHDALE
A bushfire ADVICE has been issued for people in an area bounded by Kwinana Freeway to the west, Thomas Road to the north, Kargotich Road to the east and Mortimer Road to the south, but not including the Freeway, and an area bounded by Kwinana Freeway to the east, Karnup Road to the south, Baldivis Road and Johnson Road to the west and Mortimer Road to the north, but not including the Freeway, in parts of the CITY OF COCKBURN, CITY OF ARMADALE, CITY OF KWINANA, CITY OF ROCKINGHAM and the SHIRE OF SERPENTINE-JARRAHDALE.
• There is no threat to lives or homes.
• Although there is no immediate danger you need to be aware and keep up to date in case the situation changes.
• The fire started near the intersection of KARNUP RD and YOUNG RD in BALDIVIS.
WHAT TO DO:
• Stay alert and monitor your surroundings.
• Watch for signs of a bushfire, especially smoke and flames.
• Close all doors and windows, and turn off evaporative air conditioners but keep water running through the system if possible.
• Read through your bushfire survival plan.
• If you do not have a plan decide what you will do if the situation gets worse.
• Be extremely careful when driving through the area.
• Turn your headlights on and drive slowly.
• Watch for emergency services personnel and follow their directions.
Bushfire ALL CLEAR for parts of the CITY OF COCKBURN, CITY OF ARMADALE, CITY OF KWINANA, and the SHIRE OF SERPENTINE-JARRAHDALE
An ALL CLEAR advice has been issued for people in an area east of the Kwinana Freeway, but not including the Freeway, bounded by Thomas Road to the south, Tonkin Highway to the east and Armadale Road to the north in parts of the CITY OF COCKBURN, CITY OF ARMADALE, CITY OF KWINANA, and the SHIRE OF SERPENTINE-JARRAHDALE.
• The bushfire is no longer impacting the community in this area.
• Firefighters will monitor the area for the rest of the night.
• The danger has passed but you need to remain vigilant in case the situation changes.
WHAT TO DO:
• Drive slowly and with caution due to smoke and emergency services personnel working in the area.
• The bushfire is stationary.
• It is controlled but not contained.
• Your safest option may be to visit family or friends who live away from the area.
• The Department for Child Protection and Family Support has set up a temporary evacuation centre at Mike Barnett Sports Complex located at Dixon Road and Goddard Street, Rockingham.
• Be aware that only essential items can be taken into these centres. Alcohol and pets, except guide and assistance dogs, are prohibited.
PLACE OF LAST RESORT:
• If you cannot shelter in your home, a safer place you can go to is a local open space, beach, shed, swimming pool, dam or building.
• This may give you some protection from the effects of a bushfire.
• Take water, woollen blankets and wear protective clothing.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and emergency services personnel working on site.
A number of roads have been closed including:
• Folly Road and St Albans Road from Kwinana Freeway to Mundijong Road
• Mundijong Road from Kwinana Freeway to Kargotich Road
• Duckpond Road from Mundijong Road to Banksia Road
• Young Road
• Doghill Road
• Horsfall Road
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting travelmap.mainroads.wa.gov.au or by contacting your local Shire.
Western Power has advised parts of Baldivis are without power.
For further details visit www.westernpower.com.au.
REGISTER. FIND. UNITE:
Register with Register.Find.Reunite to let your family and loved ones know you're OK and where you will be relocating to via www.redcross.org.au from any computer or mobile device or in person at the temporary evacuation centre.
If you are unable to contact a loved one who may have been planning to be in the area, enquire about their whereabouts through the online Register.Find.Reunite system at www.redcross.org.au
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
• Firefighters are on the scene, strengthening containment lines.
• 180 Career Fire and Rescue Service, Volunteer Fire and Rescue Service, Bush Fire Service, Volunteer Fire and Emergency Services, Parks and Wildlife Service firefighters are attending.
• Local Government and WA Police are also in attendance.
• The fire was reported at 12:02 PM on 9 January 2020.
• Currently there has been 1,205 hectares burnt.
• Telephone text and voice messages have been issued .
• The cause of the fire is accidental.
• DFES is managing the fire.