A bushfire EMERGENCY WARNING has been issued for people bounded by Kwinana Freeway to the west, Mundijong Road to the north, Wright Road to the east and Karnup Road to the south in parts of BALDIVIS, MARDELLA, MUNDIJONG, HOPELAND, OLDBURY and SERPENTINE in the CITY OF ROCKINGHAM and SHIRE OF SERPENTINE-JARRAHDALE.
• You are in danger and need to act immediately to survive. There is a threat to lives and homes.
• The fire started near the intersection of KARNUP RD and YOUNG RD in BALDIVIS.
WHAT TO DO:
• If the way is clear, leave now for a safer place.
• Do not wait and see, leaving at the last minute is deadly.
• Close all doors and windows and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
• If you cannot leave, you need to get ready to shelter in your home.
• Go to a room in your home away from the fire front and make sure you can easily escape.
• Choose a room with two exits and water such as a kitchen or laundry.
• If you are not at home, it’s too dangerous to return.
• The bushfire is moving fast in a north easterly direction.
• It is out of control and unpredictable.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and emergency services personnel working on site.
A number of roads have been closed including:
• Karnup Road between Young Road and Kwinana Freeway
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting travelmap.mainroads.wa.gov.au or by contacting your local Shire.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
• Firefighters are on the scene, actively fighting the fire.
• Career Fire and Rescue Service, Volunteer Fire and Rescue Service, Bush Fire Service, Volunteer Fire and Emergency Services firefighters are attending.
• Aerial support has been sent to assist ground crews.
DRONES AND AERIAL SUPPORT:
Never fly a drone, model aircraft or multirotor near bushfires. Doing so poses a major safety risk to firefighting personnel in the air and on the ground, and forces aircraft to be grounded or redirected, hindering firefighting efforts.
• The fire was reported at 12:02 PM on 9 January 2020.
• DFES is managing the fire.