A bushfire WATCH AND ACT has been issued for people bounded by Kwinana Freeway to the west, Doghill Road to the north, Powell Road and Serpentine Road to the east and Karnup Road to the south in BALDIVIS in the CITY OF ROCKINGHAM.
• There is a possible threat to lives and homes as a fire is approaching in the area and conditions are changing.
• The fire started near the intersection of KARNUP RD and YOUNG RD in BALDIVIS.
WHAT TO DO:
• If you are not prepared or you plan to leave, leave now if the way is clear.
• If you are well prepared and plan to actively defend your home, make final preparations now.
• If you plan to stay and actively defend, do not rely on mains water pressure as it may be affected. You need to have access to an independent water supply, and start patrolling your property to put out spot fires.
• At all times close all doors and windows and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
• If you are not at home, do not try to return as conditions in the area could be very dangerous.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and emergency services personnel working on site.
A number of roads have been closed including:
• Karnup Road between Young Road and Kwinana Freeway
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting travelmap.mainroads.wa.gov.au or by contacting the CITY OF ROCKINGHAM.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
• Firefighters are on the scene.
• The fire was reported at 12:02 PM on 9 January 2020.
• DFES is managing the fire.