The Kwinana Freeway has reopened between Rowley Road and Thomas Road following a bushfire in The Spectacles.
The fire started around 2.30pm on Sunday near the intersection of Thomas Road and McLaughlan Road.
It has since been downgraded to an advice.
There is no longer a threat to lives or homes.
LATEST DFES ALERT:
Bushfire ADVICE for parts of MANDOGALUP and THE SPECTACLES in CITY OF KWINANA
A bushfire ADVICE has been issued for people in an area bounded by Thomas Road to the south, Kwinana Freeway to the east, and Wattleup Road to the north in the City of KWINANA.
• The alert level for this fire has been downgraded as the fire is now stationary and crews are using machinery to track the fire.
• There is no threat to lives or homes.
• Although there is no immediate danger you need to be aware and keep up to date in case the situation changes.
• The fire started near the intersection of THOMAS Road and MCLAUGHLAN Road in THE SPECTACLES.
WHAT TO DO:
• Stay alert and monitor your surroundings.
• Watch for signs of a bushfire, especially smoke and flames.
• Close all doors and windows, and turn off evaporative air conditioners but keep water running through the system if possible.
• Read through your bushfire survival plan.
• If you do not have a plan decide what you will do if the situation gets worse.
• Be extremely careful when driving through the area.
• Turn your headlights on and drive slowly.
• Watch for emergency services personnel and follow their directions.
Bushfire ALL CLEAR for parts of HAMMOND PARK and WATTLEUP in the CITY OF COCKBURN and parts of ANKATELL and WANDI in the CITY OF KWINANA
An ALL CLEAR advice has been issued for people in an area bounded by Wattleup Road to the south, Kwinana Freeway to the east, Russell Road to the north and Pearse Road to the west in the CITY OF COCKBURN and Thomas Road to the south, Lyon Road to the east, Rowley Road to the north and Kwinana Freeway to the west in the CITY OF KWINANA.
• The bushfire that was burning near the intersection of THOMAS Road and MCLAUGHLAN Road has been controlled but not contained.
• Firefighters will monitor the area for the rest of the week due to peat soil being present.
• The danger has passed but you need to remain vigilant in case the situation changes.
WHAT TO DO:
• Drive slowly and with caution due to smoke and emergency services personnel working in the area.
• The bushfire is stationary.
• It is controlled but not contained.
• Burning embers are likely to be blown around your home. Spot fires are starting up to 200 metres ahead of the fire.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and emergency services personnel working on site.
A number of roads have been closed including:
• Anketell Road between Abercrombie Road and Kwinana Freeway
• Mandogalup Road closed between Sayers Road and Anketell Road
• McLaughlin Road closed both directions between Anketell Road and Thomas Road
• Thomas Road eastbound between Orelia Avenue and Johnson Road
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting www.mainroads.wa.gov.au OR CITY OF KWINANA.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
• Firefighters are actively fighting the fire.
• 40 Career Fire and Rescue Service, Volunteer Fire and Rescue Service firefighters are attending.