Safety Bay house fire sparked by boy playing with lighter

A fire has ripped through a Safety Bay home after a little boy found a lighter and set fire to the lounge while his parents were sleeping.

Firefighters were called to the house this morning to find it well alight and managed to bring the blaze under control within 20 minutes.

Seven West Media reports the 3-year-old boy woke his parents who could not find the key to unlock the front door so kicked down the back door to escape.

The fire caused around $250,000 damage while one of two family dogs perished.

Rockingham fire station officer Jan Szczygiel told Seven West Media it was a timely reminder for parents to be vigilant about what their children were doing.

“Don’t leave your children unattended, know where they are and try to keep lighters and matches well out of their reach."

 

 

More from Local News

Fuel Watch
  • 139.9: Caltex Woolworths Mandurah
  • 141.9: Coles Express Halls Head
  • 141.9: Coles Express Singleton
  • 142.9: 7-Eleven Greenfields South
  • 142.9: Coles Express Lakelands